JULIANA AMA KPLORFIA
FOUNDER & EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – GIRLS EXCELLENCE MOVEMENT (GEM)
Our founder, Ms. Juliana Ama Kplorfia, also known as GEM JULIA, started the GEM journey in 2005, experimenting with her workers at her Exotik Delight Food Joint and later expanded it into Exotik Girls Excellence Club after she met Ms. Maame Abena Boatema Djumah, her partner in 2008.
Ms. Kplorfia, is the last born of 31 children of a village Chief. She was born and schooled in Kwamekrom, a village in the Volta Region of Ghana, where there was no electricity, no pipe borne water and classrooms were not cemented. She came to Accra, hiding behind a truckload of salted fish baskets after BECE in 1996. Ms. Kplorfia grew up in an environment where girls were limited to the kitchen and marriage. She recounts, “most of her friends dropped out of school for the lack of support, others fell out as a result of teenage pregnancy, and others simply lacked the inspiration and motivation to succeed beyond what they see around” But she survived due largely to her determination to succeed, meandering through street hawking, and domestic help to Senior High School to begin a journey that transformed her life.
Ms.Kplorfia is passionate about issues concerning girls, especially those in deprived communities and has therefore been engaged in peer mentoring since she was 10years. She started engaging in girls’ development and empowerment outreach programs since 2008, under the Girls Excellence Movement (GEM) Monthly Inspiration-On-Wheels Project. She also spearheads the aspect of the GEM Mission which promotes women who have achieved higher heights regardless of limiting circumstances by writing a weekly article dubbed. #WomanWideAwake.
Ms. Kplorfia believes if a woman is not fully awakened to her true capabilities, no amount of opportunity thrown at her will change her life, hence she advocates for and engages in capacity building for girls to help them discover their potentials and equip them to develop it for a better life.
She is currently a Mentor on the Mandela Washington Leadership Fellowship Program under the USAID. And also a Mentor of the Dream Believe Achieve (DBA) Network.
As a professional, she is currently a Deputy Director for Finance and Administration, heading the Presidential Households Management Team which handles the Hospitality responsibilities of the Presidency of the Republic of Ghana.
Ms. Kplorfia serves on the following Boards & Committees:
- The Jacobs-Abbey Global Institute for Leadership Studies, Virginia, USA
- MUSIGA Presidential Grand Ball, Accra, Ghana.
- The Ghana Gulf Chamber of Commerce, Accra, Ghana.
- Expert Projects & Protocols GH, Accra, Ghana.
- The Health Intelligence PLC, Washington DC, USA.
- National Celebrations Planning Committee, Presidency, Accra, Ghana.
- Steering Committee in charge of State Visits, Presidency, Accra, Ghana.
She is the biological mother of two lovely boys and a foster mother to many.
- Globally recognized Project Management Professional Certificate. PMI, USA
- Masters Degree in Public Administration, SKK University, South Korea
- Postgraduate Certificate in e-Government, Shangai China
- Postgraduate Certificate in Budgeting and Financial Management, GIMPA
- BA in Political Science, University of Ghana, Accra
- Oda Senior High School, Akim Oda
- Kwamekrom RC School, Volta Region
Phone: +233 24 412 7060
Oxford Street – Osu